Friday, September 6, 2013

TGIF

1st week is over. I absolutely LOVE and ADORE the kids!!!! I am learning SO much from them. As part of 4th grade Social Studies it's local government and history. Weelllll....I need to learn the Moroccan history myself, so today we did a KWL chart and I gave them a blank map to see what they can fill out. I learned all about the Green March and how goats are slaughtered as a sacrifice. The kids told me that they hire a butcher to come to the house or their father does it as they gather around. In 2 cases there were 2 boys who have done it themselves. They actually showed me how and where the knives are positioned on the goats throat. I think I cringed. I DEFINITELY cringed as they said it. There were a few students (the ones not born here who do not participate in this ritual.)

I am learning Arabic and French daily! The Arabic teacher wants to set up a night where we can cook for each other different types of food. How awesome is that? One of the students invited me to his restaurant. Apparently they own a few that are Very upscale.

Even though I'm Really tired, have not fully unpacked, need to find my routine, and not really liking the food in the grocery stores yet, I will find my way.

Tonight is the roof top party. All the teachers gather on the roof b/c there are not that many local bars. Woman seen in bars are viewed as "not so good" women.

I found out tonight in fact I was not the last to arrive....but in fact a girl from the Philippines was stuck there due to mud slides or some kind of bad weather.

Looks like we are all trying to carve out our new lives in an environment very different than our own.
This weekend I'm going to clean, attempt another grocery store trip via cab, and try to start making my apartment more cozy. I will plan lessons and research the culture so that I may be the best teacher I can be while I'm here. It is refreshing to know that the students are Very familiar with many things taught in the US, and I know that Comsewogue has taught me a chock full that I can now bring all the way to Africa!
~Feeling Blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment