Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Brunch, Food Shopping, 3rd Crazy Cab Ride!


So we started the day at Paul's Restaurant, a yummy place for French cuisine. Some of us got fresh loaves cut right there for sandwiches to take to school, and I got a small French baguette. There is no cafeteria in the school. Everyone including students must bring lunch. 


It is about a 7min walk from our apartments.
Very fresh and delicious!
 The menu is all in French but the waiter knew some English...I really gotta start taking classes!
I ordered freshly squeezed carrot juice and eggs with cooked salmon. The bread was insanely good.
This could become a problem....carb city. But oh so cheap! Will come back for a pastry for sure!

An expresso was a must.
So this place I'm told is like a Super Walmart.
I still have to get so much stuff since the others have already set up their apartments.
I hopped a cab with Annie from Chicago, and me from NY, you'd think we have it covered.  The ride there was easy. The ride home....another story.
 Silly Annie, that crochet thing is for the toilet....I think???....lol

Shirts and ties all in one!
Babies and snuggly bears usually means fabric softener right?
 Rainbow colored toilet paper, who would have thunk it!
 I should have....I didn't.... maybe next time. Truth is, I don't know what the hell to buy.
 Familiar and unfamiliar....Roasted Chicken flavor??? Really? Didn't buy. And I LOVE my chips!
Tall Canned Luncheon Meat?? Next!

Ok, this Whole case is filled with different kinds of yogurt. Not one lick of English on anything. 
Iny-Meany-Miny-Mo....I saw a coconut one....grabbed it!
Tubes and tubes of some sort of meat....again, not in for the ride on this. 
 Opened and free rice and something else.....next.
Tons of spices! Smelled good. Need to take a cooking class first. 
 Ok, I know what that is! A bit about the produce. Everything goes bad very quickly b/c they do not use pesticides which is great, however, the fruit doesn't always look so pleasant in the case. BUT....fresh is best! So it just means I have to shop more often.
I believe this is banana juice, cucumber, peach, etc
Didn't try it yet. For this next week I will play it safe. Pack simple meals for lunch and figure out my dinners. We are all used to our "own" supermarkets with our familiar brands...little by lil...breaking away from the norm, until it becomes our new norm. I'm trying. 
 Fish sticks and something else....lol
 3,221 Dirhams later....I have what I need to get started. Found a Brita Filter...whoop-whoop!
Oh yeah, they sell wine in the supermarket, but you have to go on a special line. 
 We haggled for a price, only to learn he was not giving it to us halfway through the ride!! WTH?
Now what? Get out with 100 cheap plastics bags onto the street and start all over?
He didn't understand where we lived and I can't keep saying English words with a French accent to make it French....doesn't work out too well. Sooooo....I whipped out my camera and showed him the apartment building and some restaurants in the area. Thank Gosh it worked!
This van/taxi was beyond shady and it stalled every 2 seconds. It was like 110 degrees in the back and I couldn't breathe....Annie kept talking to him in English anyways and I fumbled with my stupid $30 Amazon translator that was of no help. Def a scene. We got home and somehow he told me that the camera helped him understand. We paid more than we wanted to, (like $3 more, no biggie) and our food didn't spoil waiting for a cab in the hot sun in the 1st place. Ugh...
Cab #4 - I will be on my game, armed with 10 French phrases at least!.....Until next time....
Now its time to clean, and get ready for week #2 here in the Guilez District. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Always an adventure!!! But you are doing great! At least there are stories to go along with your pictures! Totally worth it for the people that are in the US living a boring life! We are all living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your adventures! I also love that there is a 'Paul' in Marrakech! I'll have my eye out for that one-I love their pain au chocolat-they have Paul's all over France-even at the airport! Keep the food pics coming :)

    ReplyDelete