Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My 1st Day as an International Teacher

Woweeeeee!!!! I absolutely Loved it! What a fantastic group of little students I have. While I was a lil nervous upon them entering the room and not having it exactly all set up yet, they walked in all smiles and ready to work. I have to say that getting here so late in the game threw me off mentally as well. Jet lag definitely setting in right about now, I wasn't sure if I could be my goofy self in the classroom and do my usual ice breaking activities with an unused roll of toilet paper for example. Would I offend someone unintentionally? There are a many different rules to the Islam culture one would never think about. Such a using your left hand for touching items such as food publicly. That is considered a "dirty" hand....ya know that you clean yourself with. Well, I'm a lefty...so I do things backwards anyways.
In one of our meeting it was brought to our attention to make SURE that we are using an updated Moroccan map...not the ones with the dotted lines separating the Sahara. Well, I would have not known that either  and apparently a touchy subject with parents.
I decided to be myself. I 'm in an American School for goodness sake....so clearly they want me to act as "American" and nothing less, I would hope so.
Side note: Teachers here are cracking up about my accent...do I even have one? lol
I'm soooo wiped out and really need to rest. My ankle feels ok, but needs to elevate and ice daily. I still have to locate the local ortho doc. Will talk more about the similarities and differences between the schools in NY (minus the Venn diagram)....very interesting.
It was the perfect day. Oh except for the heat. It's like Africa hot for sure.

Feeling so incredibly lucky that I have found a profession I adore, and I am exactly where I'm suppose to be right now.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am so thrilled for you and, well you do have a bit of an accent, but I didnt want to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might too Greg....just a little. lol

      Delete