Wednesday, September 18, 2013

1st Weekend Getaway to Essaouira Beach, Camels, Souks, & Meeting Boys :)

Bloody Mary anyone?
We were all to meet downstairs where we usually meet for the bus to school by 7:40am.
Rooms were rented in a riad in Essaouira, a hot spot in Morocco. Actually there were about 12 of us. Some people have boyfriends who came abroad to live with them and they came as well.
The rest of us were 'single ladies' :)

My alarm went off at 7:29 AM. Are you fuc$king kidding me!?
I have 11 minutes to pack for the Weekend?? Not counting the minute you need to catch your breath when you feel like you are having a heart attack because you are beyond running late!!!!!

Then I realize "MY CLOTHES!!!!" Did they dry? I go out to the balcony and grab the whole rack.
Everything is still Damp!
Now I'm throwing damp clothes in a carry on for a weekend get away like a 16 year old who can't get her act together. What in the world is going on!!??? It's like I've never traveled before.
I totally felt like canceling!
I took another deep breath and decided to suck it up, right after I found some dry work clothes on the bed from 2 days ago I would slip on. Totally ridiculous. :(

I get down to the lobby and everyone is smiling, fresh, and looking adorable.
Whatever. Just get me some alcohol that I can't have because I'm still on antibiotics for 2 more weeks.

We took a cab to the bus station, had a rushed breakfast and were boarding a coach bus. 70 Dirhams (roughly $9.00 would lead us to paradise) right?
We walked through the turns of the Medina with shops on every corner. Me and my rolling purple suitcase filled with damp clothes against the cobblestone pathways creating a loud sound....didn't look too obvious I was a tourist.
Not sure what this all is...walked by it so fast....but loved the colors. Next time I come, I will shop. It will be one more week with my ankle hopefully healing as well. A couple people have asked via emails how I'm doing. My ankle 'looks' horrible honestly...sorta like a bad shark bite. It is very upsetting to me and still quite painful. :(  I'm trying not to think about it and just trying to keep up with the day to day stuff. Not easy, and doing lots of elevation when I can, and icing. Thanks for all your positive thoughts and concern.
Sights through the souks
So adorable how it's tucked in next to local vendors.
http://www.riadmaisondusud.com/photographs-hotels-essaouira-riad-gallery/
We settled into a cute room which at first reminded me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It was rather small with 3 chairs and 2 beds. The maid was still preparing for us.
Lexi and Katie entering...
Oh no! Perhaps it's not a bad thing my earrings never made it over, this place is an accessory girl's dream!
As much as I wanted to swim and do beach activities I knew that I couldn't. I'm not even allowed to step in the sand. (its how this whole injury got started in the 1st place)
The girls decided to go kite surfing....I said I would "watch" and have coffee and read a book all the way up on shore at a cafe. I thought "at least I'll get a nice view and feel the breeze."
They got their suits on and were ready to go. We all took note of the surf instructors and decided to make small talk. They spoke English well, and Annie had her eye on one...as we all did.
When I realized I would be sitting there for 2 hours in 'work' clothes I was not a happy camper. When one of the gentleman said to me "I will sit with you," things became suddenly brighter and I suddenly sat up straight.  :)
I spent the next 3 hours with 3 Moroccan young men.
Wow!!! We talked about life, culture, jobs, education, food, religion, myths I may have read about.....and so much more.
By the time the girls came back I had told them we have dinner plans.
"Meet my New friends" "they will make us a fine Moroccan meal."
Smiles came from all the girls and that was that. They showed us around and we spent the rest of weekend getting the juice on life in Morocco. They all were born and raised on the beach, and have never left the country.
They can't leave the country.
Visas are hard to get. Especially for young men who are not established. Again, something us Americans sometimes take for granted. We CAN see the world if we choose. All we have to do is buy a plane ticket and get a blue book that gets stamped. Just imagine for one minute that you CAN'T leave the country...like maybe ever. Daunting.
Makes my wet clothes, and wearing a 2 day old work outfit a minuscule issue.

After some more talking we were all able to connect on some level and were invited back for next weekend.
They want to throw me a birthday party....Moroccan style! A cake and everything!!!
This time they have for us a 10 bed Riad for all the girls. Yeah!
Something to look forward to.....turning 42 in Morocco.
Walking into my first riad. I had a smile on ear to ear walking in....it looked just like it did in all the books I had read. I love when that happens.
riad (Arabicرياض‎) is a traditional Moroccan house or palace with an interior garden or courtyard
The riads were inward focused, which allowed for family privacy and protection from the weather in Morocco. This inward focus was expressed in the central location of most of the interior gardensand courtyards and the lack of large windows on the exterior clay or mud brick walls. This design principle found support in Islamic notions of privacy, and hijab for women. Entrance to these houses is a major transitional experience and encourages reflection because all of the rooms open into the central atrium space. In the central garden of traditional riads there are often four orange or lemon trees and possibly a fountain




Even though there are no carpets and no outside windows the light from above and all the plants make it feel very peaceful.



Lots of beautiful artwork place everywhere. And with so many different colors and textures it all goes together. It's giving me ideas on setting up my place!


We were served a continental breakfast here in the morning. 
The good: yummy pastries and jam served all the time. The bad: too many carbs :( 
Colors, Textures, Patterns, oh My!
cool looking sculpture
 Inside the riad at check-in, looking out to the streets....I TOTALLY now get the whole fascination with the thousands of internet pictures of Moroccan doors. So cool!
making plans, 
I will just say "unique"
Hard to capture size of this bathroom but it was small!
~Fancy Feet~
Culture Shock book correct again..."acrobats on the streets"


Guys from the surfer shop preparing the boards....they spoke English well, (thankfully) 
 Annie, Erin, and Annie (yes 2 Annies) were ready to go! 
And then Boom!!!! This camel comes walking by. I can't describe how it felt. Odd and Impressive. The  city background makes it look super imposed.
"Hey guys, I'm listening, and don't mean to be rude but there's this Giant camel walking behind you on the beach, I MUST photograph this." In my mind I was think how weird would it be for a camel to be walking on Cedar Beach or Jones. 
One of my favorite pics so far this trip!!!!

Ahhhh...sitting on a beach, in Africa, watching surfers, camels, (forgot to mention people on horses), wild dogs, and of course the many wandering feline. Such an odd mix, yet harmonious together. Sorta of like the company I was with. 3 total strangers talking for 3 hours. 

I learned the book was Not always right. 
I learned that people are always interested in learning about what is life like on the other side of the world. One of the young men actually asked me "So is living in the United States like living the dream?" It sort of took me off guard. 

I knew Exactly what he had meant. And my father would be the perfect person to answer. I simply spoke about my father leaving Colombia and his ENTIRE, huge family at the age of 23. 
Growing up he spoke Many times about how lucky I am to have the toys and clothes that I had in my room.
After almost every meal my father would rub his belly and sorta shout, but say it very slowly...
God-Bless-America with his Spanish accent. 
We would all say "Dad STOP, thats so embarrassing!" "who says things like that?"

Am I living the dream? I quickly thought.....what dream? 
Whos dream? 
I did tell him, things are NOT handed to you.....however....there are Many opportunities if you create them. After all, it really is up to the individual to create their own destiny. 

Funny, when I got off the plane 14 days ago I thought....is this real? 
Am I really going to live in another  country for 2 years? 
I never even went away to college! 
And so, I am grateful for MY opportunity.
That afternoon, I remained......Mindful in Morocco. 

Part 2 tomorrow....we did spend Saturday night hanging with them and Sunday morning! So tired and my birthday is tomorrow! :)
Hard to keep up with the post but will try. 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/19/2013

    Happy Birthday Cat! Hope you had a great day. Love reading about all of your adventures. So nice knowing how you are and what you're doing! Hoping that ankle heals quickly. Karen

    ReplyDelete