Thursday, September 12, 2013

5th Cab Ride a Success AND I Spoke Arabic!!!! I CAN do This!

I had to hit the market today after school and another wonderful colleague who is in her 2nd or 3rd year contract, drew me a map so that I can tell the cab driver exactly where I'm going.

Now I'm armed with a hand drawn map AND my little Arabic phrase I learned 2 days ago.
Will it work?
I went with 2 other colleagues and decided to try it. Even though I knew I would sound like an idiot. lol
"Simo, Ana Marra kchiya (the "ch" pronounced like an "sh"). "Sir, I'm not a tourist, I live here"
It worked!!!!

He smiled and started talking to me in Arabic. lol....I laughed and told him, "that's it, that's all I know, I'm form NY."
He laughed and I think made fun of me. Oh well.
This time I told him,... yes, TOLD him the price I was paying....20 Dirhams  which (equals $2.50)
He said ok and we were off to the market!

Katie and Ritchie (Katie got a Yoga Mat for roof-top workouts)
We live in a small town called Gueliz District. It has Lots of shops and really anything you need. Well, its all Moroccan style stuff. I could not find salt and pepper anywhere that comes in its own canister.
I broke down today and bought pepper sitting in a bowl "open to the air and elements" and scooped some in a produce bag. EEEeeekkk....  :(
This does not fall into the ways of my germ-a-phobe style. How many flies have landed on this? Has a sick child stuck their hands in here playing?
Are there bugs? Eggs hatching?
I know....I wish I didn't have these thoughts. It's exhausting.
After I scooped some pepper I realized, there aren't ANY spices in containers. They are ALL loose!
Morocco is the land of spice and having it in wooden 'sandboxes' with small hand shovels that look like they can be used for scooping sand is just the way it is.
Sooooo....I picked a color. Yellowish. I think I picked Cardamon. I will try it and see what happens.
I'm still on antibiotics (1,000 mg of Cipro) for my ankle infection. I'm quite sure that's enough to kill whatever is growing in the spices right? lol
Easily spent another 800 Dirhams which is about $100. I still get so nervous seeing the "big" number on the register thinking it's dollars!
Another beautiful, warm, orange, peaceful sunset amongst the traffic goers. The smell of gasoline from the mo-peds and occasional wiff of donkey as they trot by, and that is OK because we got a cab home for the same amount and no hassling!!
I did it! I went where I had to go and communicated accordingly.
Did not over pay and was not taken advantage of even though they knew we were American.
I had dinner with Ritchie. She is the HS Bio teacher. I thought I arrived late?
She was coming from the Philippines and was 2 weeks delayed due to flooding at the airports!!! She still does not have her suitcases! She appears calm but would like to have her clothes.
So again, I'm reminded. We are ALL finding our way, trying to make the best of things while putting our best foot forward for what we are here for....to Teach. It is something we all are passionate it about while soaking in the culture. Even if it means loose pepper and smelly cabs. <3

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/13/2013

    There is pepper here and it comes with that little grinder top thing. Lets go shopping together next time :-). Loving your blog! Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pepper!!!!! :)
    And for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/16/2013

    hi. just wanted to say hi and wish you a happy birthday! :) NT

    ReplyDelete