Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Really 42??


September 18th….it’s a Wednesday this year. I was also born on a Wednesday, hard to believe 42 years ago. 42?!!!
Since when am I even 40?  Part of my reason for teaching abroad for a few years was exactly that “I’m going to for 42”…..it’s now or never. (getting up in the morning ain't getting easier....actually staying up at night ain't easy as well) lol
It is also my 10th year teaching. Just seemed right for lots of reasons.

Being away from family and friends was a little hard. My mother Always makes me a birthday dinner. This year I went out with some new friends to one of our favorite places Café du Lirve. It’s the same place where quiz night takes place and where the expats hang out. Very yummy food. It’s not Moroccan and that’s ok with us! J
 
When I left in the morning this sign was taped to my door…..right away I felt the love. Thanks Annie A.! Some of the students brought gifts and they all sang happy birthday to me in at least 3-4 languages with ease. Still shocks me.  I will be using my gift certificate this weekend to the Hammam (turkish bath) and massage. Can NOT wait!! 

Erin came to the bus stop with a small cake and cookie from the French restaurant Paul down the block....yummy!
"Here Ms. Viviel, roses from our garden"

Who doesn't want a purple cow pencil case? Love it!!!


After work we walked to a local "nice" salon to get mani-pedis. This place costs about what it does in NY....can't get a deal everywhere I suppose. 


Instead of picking colors from bottles lined up they handed me a tray of fake nails "Pick a color"......

Much needed refreshments!!! Holy Cow they make the best Mojitos! At Cafe du Livre a favorite spot!

Some of the fabulous people I've met so far!
Erin, Alisha, Liz, Amy, Annie B, Lexi, and Annie A.
SO Yummy!
My lil Topas plate....and they only make wings if you ask....not on the menu for everyone. ;)

I went to the bathroom and upon coming up the stairs the entire restaurant was singing to me. 
VERY surprised and Very Sweet!!! 
With a lump in my throat, I was thankful for the special day my colleagues had created for me away from home. 


On the walk home we saw a full moon...it escaped behind the clouds faster than I could get my camera out. A warm summer night walking home in Marrakech. I'm 42. I'm 42. Weird. 
I'm where I'm supposed to be....right?...even though it does not have all the comforts of home by any means. It is home for now. 
At 41 I was only "thinking" about teaching abroad. 
What should I start to think of doing next??? 
Hmmmm.....
~Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment