Tuesday, September 10, 2013

First Solo Outing to PT, Cab #4 Disaster, Happy Ending





There are no restaurants in driving distance to break for lunch and no cafeteria.
Everyone MUST bring lunch. (inside Faulty Room)
 This morning 2 students brought in brochures from where their parents work. I should rephrase where and what "they own". Most, if not all the families either own a business, businesses, are doctors, or their parents are part of the embassy or perhaps a diplomat. In one of the kindergarten classes there is a Princess. These are among the wealthiest of families of all of Morocco. Does that mean more parent involvement? I will keep you posted on that.
Faculty Room with computers and printers...
Some facts: There is no inside gym. PE is outdoors EVERYDAY! Children are not permitted to play unless they wear a hat. The sun is super strong and they must bring bottled water daily as well. I've seen them bring a change of clothes as too.

The PE teacher for Lower Elementary is from Scotland. I have her daughter in my class. If you teach here your child's education is free! These are my students in PE.
Something I'm Not used to: A Copy Center.
There are no printers in the classroom. You can send your document via email and then pick it up in a few minutes depending on how much is going on. You can also give this nice young Moroccan man a copy and come back later.
He makes me speak Arabic to him....and then we both laugh when I say the wrong thing. So then I tell him in English and make him repeat me. I believe the copy center is outsourced and therefore we need to sign how many copies are being done. All in all, not as bad as I thought it would be. Guess, I've been spoiled all these years.


Ultimate Coffee Machine!!!
Anything you want for 47cents!
Comes with cup and spoon as well- Chocolate Capp needed for Math planning :)
My assistant Azziz....he has a degree in English (B.A.) but the school usually hires American teachers he tells me.

Time for my 1st PT session. I grabbed a cab and off I went. (not used to grabbing cabs either btw growing up in LI)
 I gave the driver the business card and he STILL didn't know where it was...I even gave him my phone to call!
It was only a 6min drive...I think I even knew where I was going. lol
So by the time I actually got here, 5 men (2 who spoke English, thankfully) argued for the price of the cab.
Here in Marrakech (not sure about all of Morocco) they will try and take advantage of tourists.
Between it being so God damn hot, stressful getting to the appointment late, and realizing I have to do 3 months of PT all over again after this 2nd surgery in an unfamiliar place....I broke down crying. :(
The therapist came out to greet me and said she doesn't speak that much English...I think I snorted at that point along with more tears.
What??? No English???? Lordy, Does she even have a degree? Does she know what she's doing?
I had an infection! I was in the hospital for 5 days on IV and home on IV for 5 more!
I wasn't even comfortable in the US hospital dealing with American nurses and the possible potential for more infection with the PICC line in my arm. I had 2 ER visits with reactions.....blah,, blah, blah! The truth is, I just don't want to begin this long healing process all over again, in another country! Does she know not to touch the scar?
After I calmed down, she introduced herself and was Very kind to me. I apologized for the drama and just told her I have only been here 1 week.
And then the machine was rolled around....Good Lord...it looked like something from the 80's. There were MASH curtains separating me from the next person. And in that moment my racing thoughts were ..."if my foot falls off, I don't even care" then I thought... "maybe SHE will be the one to heal me once and for all"...I just decided to let it go. After all.....I'm here 2 years. It will be HERE where I will eventually heal. And just Pray that my ankle and foot will heal better than ever, & once again I can begin training & living my life the way I choose, with a Healthy body. That's all I can do. So I closed my eyes and she begin to treat me. 

When the session was over I gave her my co-pay (which the school will pay) and I promised I would learn French. She said "no, you will learn Arabic too".  I smiled and she said she will learn more English as well. So there we were....a handshake and a good bye. I believe people are put into our path for a reason. Like I have expressed before. I begged for clearance from the docs so that I can leave the country so soon after surgery. And although it is not the ideal situation to be working etc. I will trust the universe that all will be ok. The scar is pretty nasty but my stiletto days are numbered anyhow. Not participating in the "roof top" workouts like the other girls have created, and do weekly, has allowed me to read and write more. Not a bad trade for now.
I decided to treat myself to a fish dinner at Casanova Restaurant down the block from our house and have some white wine. The cab back was Much easier. And for a minute I was speaking Spanish instead of French "Si, instead of "oui" (wee)...good God, I'm def going to take classes.
Very relaxing! It closes during midday and opens back up at 7:30pm
The olives tasted like they were sitting in Vodka....weird, but I ate them. Fuck it.
Lots of different types of grilled fish. I packed some for dinner tomorrow. Yum!
After sharing my cab ride story with the owner, he came with paper and a pen to help me. This means "Sir, Im not a tourist, I live here" in Arabic. 
More Arabic phrases. Arabic is Very difficult to pronounce so it is a bit intimidating, but the Moroccan people get SO excited when you try. So what the heck, I tried. :) We all had a chuckle. 
I looked up from my dinner and this what I saw. It's what I love about Morocco. The warm, golden sun against the clay brick buildings....its just so relaxing. Love, love the amount of day light here. Good for the soul....and the palm trees don't hurt either. :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks nice Cat. And that dinner not too bad either! You'll def come back to the US with even more appreciation than before. Have fun (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of for sure! I miss American Food SO much!!!!

      Delete