Sunday, October 27, 2013

1 Doc, 1 Ortho, and 2 PTs Later....I'm 10 Weeks Post Surgery! (again)



Friday was 10 weeks post (2nd) surgery!!!!
I remember the last time it was 10 weeks post (1st surgery) and getting ready to leave the country…feeling ok, and finishing up with PT.

I also remember distinctly saying goodbye to my surgeon with a hug, and saying “I will follow up at Christmas.”

When I look back now and think about how I almost didn’t listen to my body and make that final appointment after I took that ONE and only short walk on the beach, because I was too embarrassed to go back to him after I just said ‘goodbye’ 4 days prior…. is so crazy!

Thinking about that day:
On my way to sell my car, literally with the title in my pocketbook…
Having the doc touch the now sore ankle that was supposedly 10 weeks healed…
Looking at him as he took deep breathes, rubbed his hands through his hair, and licking his lips as if preparing a speech. 
After touching my ankle and hearing him utter the words,
“Your tendon has dislocated, I don’t know why but you will need emergency surgery tomorrow and therefore you will not be leaving for Morocco in 5 days.” 

Ummmm…excuse me? You are fucking kidding me right?!!!
Is this some sort of cruel joke?
I swear, that moment, I will Never forget!

You research, you plan, you make a million arrangements, you work hard towards a goal, you check things off the never ending lists, and then the unexpected comes…the things in life that happen to “other people”…. well this summer I got another dose of “you are NOT in control Catalina”…the universe had other plans for me. And getting another surgery was the plan.
Waking up to hear “you have an infection” that led to a 5 day hospital stay, followed by home IVs and weeks and weeks of antibiotics was SOOO not the plan.
It is kind of funny now that I think about it. Funny in the fact that one would probably question, was I meant to live abroad at all?
Was the universe telling me not to go?
If it wasn’t for the fact that 1,000 arrangements were set in place, and let’s not forget, my ever-flowing persistence to follow out a plan, especially one I created for almost a year.. I may have postponed it.
One may call it ‘stubbornness’…But I knew, it was Going to happen…. even if it killed me.

So here I am…10 weeks post 2nd surgery and feeling “ok”…. I would say at the 8-week mark my body and spirit started to bounce back, and I’m beginning to feel like myself again. I'm not going to lie. It was a shakey start. I don't know the Quran, but when the call to prayer would blast through the streets, I took the opportunity to say a few words in my head. lol 

When I look back at the pics I took of my ankle, (eeekkkk!!!) and think about the memories of being pushed in a wheel chair through 3 airports, the walker, cane, the boot I used to get here, the way I hobbled around, the PAIN I pushed through to just get through the school day, the cabs I took to only go 3 blocks, the hours of elevating and icing, I can hardly believe one would even attempt such a challenge!

Who was I? Crazy girl? Perhaps. I swear, I don’t think I would Ever do that again!!!
And if I met someone who did, I might think they were crazy themselves.
Moving to Africa 14 days post ankle surgery with an infection?...Nuts! 
I suppose when you want something bad enough, when your heart and mind are ultra focused…. a different part of you takes over. I dug deep for sure…very deep.

I am happy to say I am feeling SO much better! I have a ways to go, but I’m finally on the up and up.

I joined a gym. While it is expensive, I know it will be worth it. The gym is where I feel like myself. The gym is where I like to challenge myself. Being in a place so far from home, I feel like the more I can connect to ways of ‘normalcy’ will make the upcoming months a little bit easier.

Some days I feel like I am on vacation. Other days, I am reminded of the commitment I made to this school and realize it will be a while before returning to ‘my’ normal. I really do love it here, and have been spending more time ‘getting lost’ through my neighborhood so that I can understand it better. I am finding new places to eat and visit with the help of 2nd year colleagues and have a Lot of traveling still to come. I really feel lucky.

Reminding myself constantly to be ~Mindful in Morocco

 Meet my orthopedic doctor here in Marrakech....the last time I was in his office he reminded me to talk slower....I had so much to say, my fast NY talking took over. lol

 One of the gyms I was looking at to join.
 Yes, the prince picture is even in the workout room.
 You can't believe how freaking expensive these gyms are yet the food is so cheap! Grrrr....
 My new PT office....so grateful! I like this place much better!
 Ok, bike. Me and you.....it's been a while.


 The PT girl is so nice to me. She is the one I throw in some Spanish words to....only because I know so little French. She is wonderful, and laughs at me because I keep trying to do more exercises than she wants me to.


No comments:

Post a Comment