Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Poufs, Artwork, and Magic Carpets Rides.....


Finally made it to Djemaa el fna!!!! The square is within walking distance from my apartment. It is a market place in Marrakesh's medina quarter. It remains the main square of Marrakesh, used by locals and tourists. You can find hundreds of souks selling everything under the sun. Monkeys doing tricks, cobras doing dances, and all the handmade carpets, lanterns, and freshly squeezed juice that anyone can wish for. It's the core hustle and bustle of the city.
The best time to go is sunset. It isn't that hot, and that's when all the vendors come out selling their slow cook stews on bunsen burners. Things such as chicken kabobs and snails are on the menu.


This photo depicts some of the transportation ways of Morocco: Bus, cab, horse, moped....Hey, we are missing the donkey, bicycle, and of course just plain old walking.
The call to prayer started just as I was entering. Loved it!!!! Because of my foot situation I have not been able to get down there....so, I think the medina was welcoming me! :)

Me & Liz (she teaches 5th and from D.C.) 




There are TONS of juice stands and they ALL claim to have the best juice in Marrakech. 


So many lanterns to choose from....Ennie-Meenie-......




All natural spices in jars.....the whole experience is very intoxicating....so much to ask, to learn, to want to try....lucky I have 2 years.


I DID buy more art! 


The streets turn into narrow alleys that twist and turn....you must be on your toes or will get run over. 


Here is Annie trying to negotiate a good price for a rug. After she walked away (which was her strategy) I was busy looking at one myself. And then the tall handsome man spoke......
"I was waiting for your friend to leave so I can talk to you"......
At that moment I think I actually looked behind me....lol "you talking to me?"
LONG story short, and after I purchased a rug (Annie didn't) .....We all threw our merchandise in a cab and I end up on the back of his moped swerving through the crowded streets past the donkeys, cabs, cars, was in arms reach of a horses ass and my foot nearly clipped a pedestrian. Seriously? What was I thinking? Was this for real? We just went down looking for stuff to decorate our apartments.
Well I wasn't thinking clearly. I actually, gracefully, said "no".....and my friend Annie said if you don't get on the bike with this HOT guy I'm never talking to you for the next two years!!! AHH!!!!....I need all the American friends I can keep! A lil peer pressure....and a lil birdie whispered "just DO it"......and off we went into the warm dusty night. Thankfully he brought me straight to my apartment and we all went out for snacks at a new local place we haven't tried. Good times :)

And plans were made to see him tomorrow at the club we were all going to.

Meet the "pouf" guy....I bought one...the story goes it gets filled with old clothes, plastic bags etc...once mine is filled I will take a pic. I Love it!!! All leather and hand embroider stitching. 

Oh man....the sheep are being kept together already..... the Eid holiday is coming.
View from restaurant roof top.....great first time being there. Going back tonight.
My new friend told me he plays guitar....say what? I'm a sucker for musicians.....always wind up dating them (ex husband was one)......anyway he says in his French/Arabic accent "Maybe after I close my shop you bring your friends and I lay down carpets and bring tea and I play for you"
......ummmmmm....Hellzzzz Yeah!!!! :)

Sounds good to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment