Wednesday, October 23, 2013

1st Muslim Holiday


We just had our first week off in observance of the Muslim holiday called Eid al Adha, also called the Feast of Sacrifice. Now obviously I have never heard of this holiday and therefore did not have to teach too much about it. The Arabic teachers handle that. However, we did discuss it in class and the students told me what it was about, in their own words and how they celebrate. We even were invited to a small presentation by one of the Arabic teachers. I found it very interesting and somewhat bothersome mostly because I feel bad for the sheep. I suppose it isn't too different than killing a turkey for Thanksgiving except turkeys are not cute. 
Sheep are cute....they are fuzzy and they look at you. 
And they eat out of your hand. lol...
And they ride on mopeds with people holding them all cuddly...
Except they don't know they are going to be tied up and slaughtered. 
Ok, I have to stop.
Pics will tell the rest....


Presentation last period of the day...

One of my students made this for me to explain the holiday....precious. 

Some of the sheep are put on the back of a car in a wagon.

My student wrote this for me. It is the story of Eid....this goes in my "teacher memory file" for sure!!!
I was in a cab...this what I saw....
Student drawing...


I can't.

Omg. Does it not look like the freaking sheep is looking where he is going? lol
Bye, Baaaa......sheep!

So I fled the country for the holiday.
I escaped all the craziness.
At least for now.

At Morning Meeting on Monday we sat in a circle as we usually do (as I have done on Long Island for the past 9 years) and we share about our weekend.
These kids spoke about boiling sheep heads, blood being drained, the men that were hired for the slaughter....the uncle who got cut trying to slaughter, and giving the extra meat to the poor.

I sat and smiled....and cringed, and smiled. I asked questions.
And I told them about my Tapas experience in Spain.....lol


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/12/2013

    OMG, I can't even! I can't wait to share this with my Muslim students! BAAAAAA!!!! ~Christy

    ReplyDelete