Saturday, October 19, 2013

1st Trip Abroad from Living Abroad, Seville, Spain!!!

It's time for a holiday! We are fortunate enough to have an October, November and December break during the fall. Part of my decision in choosing Morocco to teach was the location in relation for easy travel to Europe. I wanted to spend some time in the south of Spain and have the time to really soak in some culture, learn the language, and not be rushed as I usually am on our breaks. The flights can be really inexpensive and it only takes 1 or 2 hours depending on where you are going....could even make it a long weekend if I wanted to. This break I was supposed to go to Malaga (southern Spain) and meet one of my cousins that I have never met before. Her mother and my father are brother and sister. I think I waited too long to book and the flights and it just became too much. There is always next time. I'm looking forward to it. She writes to me in Spanish on FB all the time "Come cousin, my house is your house".....already feel a connection. 

So we planned Seville, Spain, not a bad alternative. I am here with Liz from D.C. and Annie A. from Chicago. I have to say I am pretty impressed with our travel skills and how smooth the traveling went. I have gotten SO used to traveling with a large group and having EVERYTHING done for me all I had to do was 'show up'. Well, traveling internationally on your own is Very different. It reminds me of when I was 24 and spent 3 weeks backpacking through Europe. Not going to lie, it can be stressful at times....the language, the money exchanges....transportation etc. 

Well not this time. :) It was a 15min ride to the airport from my apartment, 1:15 min flight, and immediately we caught a bus with our broken Spanish, and by me opening up my laptop showing him the hotel info, followed by a 7 min walk to the apartments we rented. Lickity Split, we are in Spain!

Since we arrived at 10pm ish we were hungry....are places open? Oh yes! We walked to a tapas bar and have some delicious food! 

Liz and Annie

Seville at Night

Look, dumpsters with NO flies! 



We rented an apartment. Each had our own bedroom and steps from stores and restaurants. 


Everything we ate was SO freaking good! AND we could sorta communicate! :)

Ready to hit the town....at 10PM...can't believe I made it. 


Under the bridge was where the hippies were......very chill. 
We stopped for a beer and I turned to my friend and said "I wish there was live music somewhere"
Within 5 seconds, a man walked up to us and sat down facing me and began to sing. Aahhhh....Spain! <3


This was a recycling can I believe. 

Buns of steel?......



This was our breakfast sandwich!
We went back the next day as well. 


 Formally known as Catedral de Santa Maria de la Sede, Seville Cathedral is the largest Roman-Catholic cathedral in the world and also the largest Medieval Gothic religious buildings.



I couldn't help myself. lol

 There were lots of street performances of a different caliber that I have not seen before.


We decided to get haircuts, color and do eyebrows. We didn't buy anything anyway and realized we really didn't see too many salons in Marrakech. A hair cut in Spain was a first for all of us. They took us all in at once and were very nice as we used our broken Spanish and trusty 'ol sign language to describe what we wanted. http://www.koupas.com/salones/



Lady and the Tramp....
 We wanted to see a Flamenco show but they were kind of expensive. We asked the cab to take us anyway to see what we could find. We were driven through narrow, cobblestone alleys, right, left, right, left... and then he stops and points. We would have Never found this place. It was like an underground performance....in my opinion the best kind....and Free!. We ordered beer, a scoop of guoc,  some chips and soaked it in. So powerful the singing and dancing. And if stupid blogger would let me load a video you can see it. We also bought artwork.
Sporting new cuts and color
This guy was doing watercolor paintings of the dancers....we each bought one. 


Whip that hair!!!!


Loved this painting

After the show, Liz felt inspired...

inspiration continues....lol 
This place was super cool with tons of artwork.

We got to the discoteca around 11pm.....apparently early.
Had the dance floor to ourselves for a while.  
Danced and danced til 4am.....people still going. 

 Returned for the best egg sandwiches and amazing fresh juice!


Coconut, guava, melon.....just delicious and refreshing!
Did not eat here....but walked by.
We saw meat hanging everywhere. 
I cannot tell a lie. I LOVED Seville, Spain. I had not been to Spain since 1995. And I will be back again real soon. I want to see Malaga, Granada, and Madrid.
Adios for now~ 

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Makes me miss Spain! So happy you enjoyed yourself and traveling independently! It's worth the bumps and bruises lol.

    ReplyDelete