Friday, October 11, 2013

Night at the "Jelly Bar"

In keeping up with Moroccan tradition I decided to try a new place for my 2nd hammam. This is the Spa/Gym a few blocks from my apartment. While the salon has reasonable prices, the gym part does not. The prices are tripled from a NY membership and simply can't afford it. Grrrr....
I tried to tell her I'm a teacher here, not getting paid much and will get members for her etc....
Not happening. So for now I booked a Golden hammam session. I felt relaxed already waiting for my appointment. Scrub-a-dub-dub....clean me and steam me.


Ahhhh!!!! This place was AWESOME! I was again whisked away into a dimly lit chamber and assumed the position on the marble table in my paper thong. She then brought me into a dark steam room with tiny white lights on the ceiling for a few mins. She came to check on me every so often and touched my shoulder. (I think that was her way of seeing if I was getting over heated) Then she brought  me back for more scrubbing, washing, and massage. Flipping over from front to back I was much more relaxed this time and trying to think of nothing but 'relaxing'.....until I felt a finger or two get awfully close.....Ah! (although I kept my eyes closed the whole time, she may have seen my eyebrows go up)....."it's ok, Catalina, its totally professional" I thought....after all I was so lathered up and sudsy, I guess it's bound to happen. lol
Then walked to Bianco Ice for a sweet treat. The pistachio ice cream / gelato here is the best I have ever had!
Time for some dancing fun! These are some of the ladies I work with. Very blessed to know such a great group of women. They are smart, funny, and know how to have a good time. We all help each other through even the seemingly simplest tasks.....that are not that simple to do here in Marrakech.
Annie is from Chicago and lives right below me. She's a runner and comes from a big family like me.


The dance floor was filled and when these guys came out to dance with us, the energy was turned up 10 notches. The place is really called Djella Bar, but we nicknamed it "Jelly".....sounds similar. Great atmosphere here.....clean, cool artwork on the wall, drinks a little expensive, but over all has a great vibe. http://www.marrakechcode.com/restaurant-marrakech/djellabar/


And.....this is the guy I met at the souk who sold me the carpet and who safely brought me home after zig-zagging through the medina. We made plans to meet at the club. He is 29 and born and raised in Morocco. He speaks 4 languages and English very well, thankfully.

Have you have seen the movie "Stella Got Her Groove Back?" It's a good one.
That's all I'm gonna say about that. :)

Will see him tomorrow night as well.
Just taking it day by day here.....and remaining Mindful in Morocco. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment