Monday, October 21, 2013

My name is Catalina and I'm addicted to Hammams.

First a hearty breakfast at Bianco Ice. This is the place with the amazing pistachio gelato. And apparently delicious eggs cooked with herbs in a tangine....yummy!


http://www.madein-marrakech.com/fr/bianco-ice-22231.html

From left to right: A yummy crepe type thing....a Moroccan pancake, an English muffin (first I have seen since being here) and what appears to be cream of wheat. Carb city. :(   (only ate 2 outta 4)

It's been 4 weeks in a row now....every Saturday or Sunday I find myself exploring a new place for a hammam and truth be told, a massage afterwards. Well, after all I'm already clean, undressed and relaxed....I feel it's only natural to get a rub down....move the toxins out. :) right?

All the girls here laugh at me, and some have not even had one!!! (Which I think is crazy!) They are SO cheap! Today I found a new place, which is about a 5 min walk from my apartment. When I walked in they said they were running a promotion....promotion?!!! I'll take it!!!

They led me to the changing room....here is a look inside...

Who has keys to a locker like this? I knew I would like it already.....lol


This is inside the changing area where you slip into a robe and then she asks me what shoe size I am. I tell her 8. She then says 38? Ah yes.....38, forgot European sizes....you think I would get it by now....I don't live in the US....EVERYTHING is different!


Then they bring out a white pair of crocs. Crocs? Wonder why I need these?


I was taking into an even darker hallway than I had ever been before...I think she lead me by hand. lol
All the walls were black marble....sorta like a fancy fun house. Except it smelled SO good and clean.

I was taken from chamber to chamber to be washed and scrubbed, using Moroccan black soap (this soap is made from the kernel of the olive nut and has wonderful exfoliating properties) she also rubbed  Rhassoul - this wonder clay, mined from deep within the Atlas Mountains, has a list of benefits as long as your arm. She put this clay all over me (including my hair) and she said "madame....something, something...."  Which somehow I knew meant she would be back in a little bit. So I lay on my stomach on a hot bed of marble. The rooms are only lit with one small light. (Thank G-d!) No need for bright light during the "Silkwood" scrub down. I always point to the scar on my ankle so that they don't tear the shit out of the new skin trying to heal. And when they see it they always make a 'tsking noise' lol

Each Hammam is just as abrasive....they wear a special scrubbing mitt called a gome, this course mitt will effectively remove all your dead skin cells, and increase the circulation in your arms and legs, helping to reduce cellulite. Come on now!  Who doesn't need more circulation in the body and less cellulite? Ya see....it's a win-win situation. 



I found out what the crocs were for. Because I was up down, and all around so much the floor becomes Very slippery. As a matter of fact when just flipping over from stomach to back you feel like a slab of meat yourself (from all the soap on the table) I don't like that part....I just turn as graceful as one can in a  situation where you are naked and vulnerable sorta. 

In between hammam and massage I was brought to another room for a break and served the typical sweet mint tea. The view outside was a small patio garden with big ass pots of bamboo and vines growing everywhere. Inside there was typical soft American music playing and Buddhas all over. Just so darn relaxing!!! 


Time to walk home refreshed and rejuvenated. Time to start lesson planning for the week and preparing lunches. I had a Wonderful week off and could not ask for more. I feel so lucky. So grateful. 

Remaining ~Mindful in Morocco

So 



No comments:

Post a Comment