Sunday, August 11, 2013

39 Days until Moving


"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C.S. Lewis



7-13-13
So it’s 5 1/2 weeks until I’m off on this new chapter in my life and everyone keeps asking, “How do you feel?” I decided for the 2-year journey I would journal. I’ve never kept a continuous journal in my life. I will also create a blog with everything that happens. The good, the bad, and the ugly. After all, this is not just a vacation. This is a work opportunity like no other, picking up and moving to Marrakech, Morocco. It’s located in the most north western part of Africa. It’s a Muslim country which speaks primarily Arabic and French. I’ve never been there before, and to make such a commitment to a place I’ve never seen, with a culture so different, is both exciting and nerve racking, and to some people it might be crazy. So how do I feel? 
When I was in Boston for international interviews I said to myself I would not “choose” a country to work, but rather have the country “choose” me. South America was enticing because I have family there and wanted to learn to speak Spanish, but left it up to the universe to put me where I’m supposed to be. So how do I feel? Excited and nervous about sums it up! The unknown is scary. The unknown is not in my control.


The comforts of home will no longer exist, and will be up to me to create a new comfort zone...a place to call, for 2-years...home.  
39 days to go...French classes on-line, reading Culture-Shock books, viewed tons of YouTube videos, spoken to many people who live or have visited Morocco, and did a slue of research. I bought a new camera, mini iPad, brand new purple suitcases, and have begun the undesirable task of packing and cleaning. The physical parts of getting ready for the transition are underway. I will worry about the mental later....after all, I think it will be a while before my brain catches up to what I really have gotten myself into. I will be documenting with photos, maps, quotes of the day, audio, video and hope to bring this experience in my blog as real as it can be. 

      So how do I feel? I feel happy and truly blessed. 







Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment