Thursday, March 6, 2014

What's New in the New Year?

Welcome 2014!
(This blog is of January only, been written for some time!)
Just needed final touches...
February is next….Real soon!

If someone were to ask me what's a typical Friday or Saturday night like for you in Marrakech, I wouldn't know how to respond. It ceases to amaze me all the wonderful opportunities I've had to experience more culture, and it's never really planned too far in advance! (contrary to how I used to live) where I would plan obsessively. 

I was graciously invited to a free concert to hear The Boston Boys. I had never heard of the group but always a sucker for live music…of any kind! When I heard they would be coupled with some Moroccan musicians I thought "it's gonna be good." So off we went, a couple of colleagues and myself. Great, great, fabulous, fantastic night! Now if Blogger would let me upload the video you could actually see it…:(  
The musicians were truly exceptional. I got chills watching the guys on the fiddle!
http://www.thebostonboys.com

Whenever I see the violin or any instrument for that matter, I hear my mother's voice about 30 years ago. "I wish one of you girls would play the violin"….Now that I'm all grown up, and can't play shit….
I wish I had listened to her. lol

Moroccan instrument (forgot the name) 

Here we are after the concert. ASM colleagues and The Boston Boys in the back. Of course we gotta do a meet and greet. :)



Here is the outside of my classroom.

Here is my colleague Amy breaking in to open the door from the inside so I can get in.

And this is the way we do it at ASM.



I forgot my key 3 days in a row upon returning from Xmas break….perhaps a sign I wasn't ready to go back to work. 
This was a funny night. As I have mentioned before the food situation is still …well….a situation at times.
I truly miss all the conveniences and variety we have back in the US. At the same time, don't get me wrong…I love the freshness of the food here. Zero preservatives on the veggies and fruit. No hormones on the meat! I know this because you can pick out your own chicken at these little stores. (not that I have….or will). I pretend not to see what's going on inside.

BUT, this means I have to cook every night. Anyway, I was in the mood for Asian.
Thankfully in Gueliz, where I live, there are many restaurants and some deliver.
The only stress of it all?…….
I'm always praying...will they speak English when I call?

I had been to this sushi place before and figured I'd try and have a delivery. When looking on the internet for the menu I found out it was all in French. Boo-hoo.
When I called and tried to place the order just by pictures, the guy only spoke French and Arabic….Wha! :(
As a staple, I turned to Spanish….Score!
So here I was, in Africa, ordering Asian food, in broken Spanish off a French menu!
Sometimes I think these things only happen to me. Yeah, pretty sure they only happen to me.


Loving Thursdays!
I still have my maid Naima. She comes once a week to cook and clean. Each week I point to a tagine book I bought in English and tell her what I want. And we speak to each other in different languages and smile…and laugh…and grab objects to show each other things. She is truly a blessing and thankful to have her. 
A Night at the Circus! Yes, the circus came to town!
ASM colleagues and a friend went to see the greatest show on earth. It was about $15 for the ticket for a 2-hour performance. It def was not Big Apple, but we enjoyed the uniqueness of the acts.


Annie and Lexi

Women with snakes...





Time for my 1st official tagine lesson….given by a Moroccan friend.
Here are the veggies and special spices needed for making a veggie tagine.
Before I continue with this….
I will briefly update you.
I am still seeing the young, handsome, smart and funny man I mentioned in a previous blog. I did not reveal his name then, but will now since it's been 4 months and we have decided to let the cat outta the bag. Because he works at the school and for other reasons, we kept things quiet for a bit.
More about him later….back to tagine!
OK, it's all about the secret spices. Black pepper, ginger, paprika, turmeric, cumin…I think….lol
They all came from the local store wrapped in paper…nothing written on it….needed an orientation indeed.
You slice all the veggies Very thinly…layer them….mix together spices, water and olive oil….pour all over….and cook at a very low flame. So yummy! I also learned as I was setting out the plates…(which I already knew, but instinct kicked in) You all eat from the same dish! No other plates needed.
One of my students got this for Xmas, built it, and brought it in….so cute! I told them I got a personal tour of the White House because my cousin worked for the Vice President in the past. All of a sudden they looked at me differently….only lasted a day. lol
Sammi is adjusting very well as you can see. I was vacuuming and turned around to see him staring at me. Naturally had to grab the shot.

These dogs crack me up! So thankful to have them here with me. Although its not ideal for future traveling (dog hotels etc) how could I leave them behind or give them away?

One of the things I am treasuring about this job, and know will never happen again, are all the special treats I get from ALL over the world. I have a student who competes in tennis tournaments in Switzerland….whenever he goes and comes back…Bam!
Swiss chocolate on my desk. :)
No more CVS Russell Stover's my friends! lol

Whenever I am over whelmed…which seems often lately (with school related deficiencies)
I step outside my classroom and just stare.
This is what I see! (well on a clear day during winter time). I mean look at this! How beautiful!
How lucky am I?
I need to remind myself…that a day will come when I will reflect and say "I used to teach in Morocco."
And a flood of memories will come pouring through. I want to remember the good. Right now, my colleagues and I are having a bit of a tough time as the school is trying to get accreditation, however there are MANY things that do not make sense to us here, and there are a lack of resources. The school does not run as organized as it should…and while no school is perfect….it just seems the simple things are not in order and that drives us nuts!
I don't want to say bad things about the school but I often feel like I'm stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone. A girl with a strong personality, coming from 9 years teaching in NY, to a job where the office seems to function on the slogan "tomorrow after tomorrow"….when my whole life I have been conditioned to…"it should have been done yesterday."
Soooo….I'm learning to be patient. Seems to be the lesson of my life.


One of my students presented this to me first thing in the morning. She made it over the weekend with her mother in a cooking class.
Raw chocolate made with Chili, Peach, Ginger and Peach!!!?
This was a great start to the day!


Another chance to see live music! This was A-MA-Zing!
Yup, heard my mom's voice again….lol
This was the Moroccan Philiharmonic who played American movie scores. And it was free!
The fruit does not get fresher than this!
Orange trees are everywhere here….really everywhere.
I have yet to see an orange without the leaves.

At first glance you think it's an ordinary city shot right?
Well, look again….see something peculiar?

This man has a pheasant, duck, and some other kind of bird in a basket on the bike for sale.
The woman is calling home "honey, I'm picking up dinner."

I stumbled into this shop...
And left buying authentic saffron….it was being sold by the ounce.
All about the herbs! :)


Time for more sight seeing. There is so much to see here!

Took a trip to the Marrakech Museum located in heart of the city. The beautiful tile work, and designs are really something to see.















Having a Wonderful time with this man. Because he works at the school with me, and is pretty private and conservative in general (unlike me) lol….I will not write what I really want to say!
Gosh! And I have SO many good stories!!!! :(  lol
He actually was asking me recently, "does anyone read your blog?" Ummmm….yeah! Like 7,000 views…from people all over the world. I mainly write for myself so that I can remember the feelings I felt during this journey.

What I will say is that I feel truly lucky. To find someone who you can be your true self is not easy. We get along perfectly, and although have had many discussions on cultural differences….we are accepting of one another. And just putting it simply….when someone makes you laugh until you can't breath, but also takes your breath away with the sweet gestures that he does…..well…how could it be wrong!?
I have met his entire family and was invited to lunch for a traditional Moroccan meal. His twin brother is getting married in the summer and I was invited to the wedding. That means a special kind of dress called a caftan! Can't wait!
Rooftops at sunset

Special candies and treats in the square. I'm getting so brave with this open food thing. Hey, when you can't beat 'em….join 'em!
(I got my Hep A booster at Xmas) lol

Sunset at Jemaa El Fna…..love ….love…love the sunlight here!
Sunday afternoons ….I can actually open the sliding door and get a tan sitting on my couch….in winter! 
Finster adjusting well too! 
These old guys are such troopers! They survived their first grooming appointment as well!
I got lost walking there and then couldn't communicate, but what else is new….lol
Having more faith in the things that used to get me frustrated. Until I learn the language…thats all I can do. Have faith, things will turn out ok.

~Staying Mindful in Morocco~

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/07/2014

    So happy for you!! Despite the frustrations of things not running the same way as they do back home-it's like that everywhere out of the US. Mañana mañana is not just a song from Mexico-it's an entire way of life for people in South and Central America. A difficult transition though-I would imagine it would be double int the work world! Glad you made it to the madrasa too-great pics!! and great job on the tagine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama!
      Mañana Mañana ……lol

      Delete