Thursday, March 13, 2014

January Amendment

Two stories I forgot to include: just found in a word document

Missed the Damn Bus--Almost!

As most of us…I despise Monday mornings. I’m still getting used to waking up a bit earlier to take the dogs out. This requires a trip down the elevator from the 5th floor to the 1st floor…across the courtyard and out to an empty sand lot.  On this particular Monday, I did my usual routine but basically I ran out of time.  (I’m queen of, “let me do just 1 more thing!)
I started walking down the block and saw the bus pass in front of me as I approached the corner. FU$K! Shit!
Unfortunately this has happened to a few teachers and your next means of transportation is taking a cab for 200 Dhs (about 25$). I thought, Hell No!!! I’m getting this bus!
I picked up the pace and hailed a cab…quickest I ever have.
I jumped in and basically start pointing and using my hands in a very fast motion. Pointing and yelling and saying “go, go, go…. faster, faster, rapido, andele”…. (I told you I switch to Spanish when I’m nervous). He kind of understands me, and then I shout ‘auto-bus’ and make this Brrrrr…sound like I’m 2 years old saying what a bus says. Lol
He now begins to understand me, and is slowly gaining on the big bus. As we approach the stoplight, I gather my stuff and my plan was to pray for a red light, jump out, knock on the door, and jump on.  

It WAS red!
So I gather my stuff and throw coins on the seat.
I maneuver between the cars and cabs…. Knock on the big glass door, give half smile to the bus driver, as he is now giving me a peculiar look, lol.
It seems he remembers me, and is only puzzled because I’m standing outside the bus in the middle of the street rather than being on the bus.
He opens the door; I hop on and quickly find a seat.
Was I noticed?
There are about 30 teachers and Moroccan assistants who take the bus daily.
As I bury my head into my cell phone, and act like it never happened, I realize the bus has stopped again. I look up to find the cab driver standing in front of me ON the bus asking for money. WTF? I tried to explain I threw it on the seat.
OMG…I had to get off the bus and show him!
So now if someone didn’t see me get on the first time, they certainly did now.

Fast forward 1 week….small comments were made by several teachers randomly as I saw them in the hallways and faculty room. “Smooth move jumping on the bus like that, I would have never attemped it”….

“You must be from NY, you acted so natural jumping out of a cab and onto a bus” etc.
Lol…this made me laugh. 
Made me realize I do do crazy things….but hey, that’s me.
I'm quick on my feet, and I'll be damned paying for a cab to take me all the way to school! :) 


Happy Birthday Julie!


It’s January 24th. Today is Julie’s birthday. It's not an easy day for me anymore. Not when your younger sister has passed away. She would have been 39 years old. 
As the last 3 years have past I often reflect on how losing a sister  has impacted me, both in a negative and positive way (not that anything is positive about it…but how I can I bring about positive change out of a negative situation). 
While the tears have flown less, thankfully, the hole in my heart remains. A young, healthy, mother of 2 small boys was told after a routine physical (2 days after her birthday ironically) “you have a very aggressive leukemia.” “You must get to a hospital immediately.” 

Her words "But I feel fine!"
"I have to go to work on Monday."

I do know this…and may have mentioned it before, but worth reflecting on. I would NOT be here in Africa teaching if she were still alive. I can say this with 90% certainty. 
Why? She was the sister I was closest to, and felt an incredible loss after she past. I realized at that time I lost a best friend as well. How lucky am I to even have had that?…I found out afterward. 



I wouldn't have left because I would have missed her too much. I would have missed being with her and the kids, and all the things we planned to do together. 
We were those kinda sisters who would watch shows together on the phone…Amercian Idol, Biggest Loser etc. And when the really good parts would come on, we would say "call me back on the commercial." lol

We were the kind of sisters who said "lets have babies at the same"….lol
Funny how life turns out. 
She had 2….and is not here to raise them. 
I have none….and here to see them grow into beautiful kids. 





During the almost 3 years she battled, she taught me to fight fears, hold your head up high despite your circumstances, and let the small things go. I watched her to do this while fighting a horrible disease that slowly consumed her body, but never her spirit.

Happy Birthday Beautiful Julie! 
You continue to inspire me and when I think things are getting rough, I often think of you.
I think about the special conversations we were able to have, and how lucky I am to have had you in my life! 

And the best part of it all….is that I know you are here….with me…guiding me through this new journey in my life….something I'm loving and never expected to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment