Monday, March 31, 2014

Echograhie, Chirurgie Plastique, and a Dermatologiste!

The week of March 10th:

This past week I had a sonogram, saw a plastic surgeon & had a consult with a surgical dermatologist.

I have a what?
It has to come out?
Did you say surgery?
How big is it?
It's Not the "c" word right?
Thank God
How do you know? Can you be certain?
Seriously?
WTF!!!!! :(

This past week has been a bit stressful. Actually so far the month of March has been. I'm just getting over a 2 week really bad cough-cold-sinus thing. The kind that throws you in a coughing fit every time you laugh, or even increase your walk pace by a mere few steps. In the beginning of the month I actually had my first bout of asthma that had seem to subside since arriving here.
I was even tempted to give my brand new inhalers away since I hadn't used them. And then…the body doesn't forget. :(
It knows what area is your weak area and strikes.

Anyway…I just found out I have a 7x7mm cyst in my chest (not breast thankfully) but right on the chest bone.
Freaking great! I had felt a bump…but I sometimes pretend things are not what they seem. (opposite of a hypochondriac) sometimes it works in my favor…in this case, not.
Once it became painful I knew something was wrong.
Thankfully we have insurance here, and while the system is a little wacky…there are some benefits.

Visiting all these doctors was a bit unnerving; but not speaking the language again, was my Biggest obstacle. :(  While laying on the table for the sonogram I could see the bump/tumor/cyst whatever you want to call it….I just knew it didn't belong there. I sat up immediately and pointed to the screen "I see it".
The man gently coaxed me to lay back down and spoke in French or Arabic….at this point I don't remember….I just remember seeing something that doesn't belong. Most times you have to wait for a radiologist to interpret the results….this time I could see the shit myself! Ah! Scary!

Thank Gosh I had company! Youssef did all the translating for me. He has been a great support and don't know what I would have done without him.

After calling NY and speaking with my doctors office there…I had to make some decisions.
Am I going home for this surgical procedure (mind you I don't have insurance in NY anymore) or do I stay here and have it done here?
Will they butcher me?
Do they know what they are doing?
Should I have it done in France?

In the meantime I was prescribed and took the same heavy duty antibiotics that I was on when I first arrived here after surgery. I took some pain relief meds and honestly can't believe I have to have a surgical procedure. Here in Morocco….of all places. I suppose it could be worse.
If I wait, and get it done next Xmas when I come home it might continue to grow….eek.

Ugh! After turning 40, I feel like I am falling apart! :(

In April I will know more and make a decision.
The unexpected continues.
I would not be telling the complete truth by not mentioning I have a parent who has been VERY helpful in getting me an appointment with the Best surgical dermatologist in Marrakech. The parents here at my school have many connections with the community and this sort of thing is still so new to me. I really feel like I am living in a movie at times.

For now, I must remain positive…mindful…in Morocco.






No comments:

Post a Comment