Friday, November 29, 2013

Visit to Agadir-Less than 24 hours

When will I learn? 
Expect the Unexpected!!!
The last 2 vacations I planned with friends from work here at ASM (to Spain and Portugal).
And while it was amazing, I wanted to try a weekend solo. The really cool people travel solo. I think its much harder when you are by yourself. You have to pay attention so much more and figure things out. We had a Monday off recently in observance of Moroccan Independence Day, and thought I would travel in Morocco to another city on the coastline called Agadir. If successful, I will try an abroad trip. 

I have been to Essaouira twice and loved it. Agadir is south of Marrakech and therefore 'thought' it would be warmer, as it said 74 degrees in the forecast. 
Sooooo….I took a taxi to the bus station days earlier to purchase the tickets. Arrived to the bus on a Friday night. On the 3-hour journey, my thoughts were…"Ah, hotel room to myself, relax by the pool, perhaps some laps?, dinner out, mani/pedi, hammam, the gym….shopping…what more can a girl ask for in a solo weekend? 

The ride was smooth and I was only nervous about getting a cab from the bus station to the hotel. It was 10:30 at night and people scramble out of there quick. I got a cab right away, and now just had to do my usual negotiation process. 
The good news is, in the last month I have been able to guesstimate the price of the fare myself based on how far we go. And still they try and over charge. 
Now, I'm not as polite. I shake my finger and make "tsking" noises as well as the Arabic phrase I learned saying "I live here" "I'm not a tourist." 
Seems to be getting easier over all.

The trouble starts upon check in:
I forgot a copy of my passport (still in the Portugal papers from the week before). 
I'm a slow unpacker. :(    And clearly losing my organizational touch, with all the traveling! :( 

He proceeds to tell me that if I don't know the number I must go to the police station and fill out a form!!! WHAT??? and WHY??? I did show him my Moroccan SS# card. Not good enough, he says.
I called a friend to go into my apartment but she was out. :(
"The police station?"…"By myself?"……
My eyes filled with tears. This is SO not how I wanted to start my peaceful, solo weekend.
The tears seemed to work.
He said "OK, give me the info in the morning"….AH, so thankful!

I got to my room and even though it was rather small, it had a nice Moroccan flair to it. 

View from my hotel, first night….

Wake up to the same view in the morning.
But wait, what's that in the yellow chair? Man? Woman?
Let me zoom in….

Oh, HELLLLL.. NO!
Are you kidding?!!
I haven't even had coffee yet!


Of course I stop, stare, and shoot more pics.
Oh Gee, can't wait to get down to the pool area…..



Breakfast was ok and provided by the hotel.
Maybe I'll walk to the beach instead. Limited action at the pool.


Hmmmm….where is everybody?




Winter coats, long pants, and the wind was pretty dreadful.
Ugh. Reality hit. I am not getting tan this weekend.
And..I am Not moving sand between my toes or walking on the beach which I so anxiously planned. :(



Ok, plan B. I'll go back to the pool and wait for the gym and spa to open.

This guy decides to show up on my bag 4 inches from my body! Eek!


So I walked down to the gym and the door is locked. I tried the spa door, it too is locked. I walked backed up to the desk. "Yes, the spa and gym are closed until Monday."
Excuse me????  Well, that's a silly thing to say.
The sign says they are open. And why on earth would you close those things on a weekend???

That's it! I'm outta here.

I went and had a sandwich down by the beach for dinner before catching the 7:30pm bus back.
Hmmm...Maybe I will make use of the bathtub!
Ah, yes, I'm looking at the silver lining. I have not had a bath in months (we have only showers in our apartments). So my mind was at ease. Long hot bath before a long bus ride. Think again Catalina….

#1- The water did not stay hot for very long :(
#2- The tub was Not filling up!!!!

Are you Fuc$ing kidding me?

#3 And where is the mini hairdryer???? Get me out of this place!!!!

Grrrrr….I was SO mad!

I explained everything to the people at the desk.
Don't know what good that will do.

I was home my 11:00pm at night.

Sometimes we have grand ideas in out heads. And sometimes, they are FAR from what will happen.
So it wasn't meant for me to have this weekend traveling alone. Perhaps it will come at another time.

And so I will wait.
Need to work on patience anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment