Saturday, December 21, 2013

I'll be home for Christmas….You can count on me.


It's that Time!!!!!!

Half day on Friday the 20th. My bags are packed and I will take a 3-hour car ride to Casablanca (hired a driver) with my close friend Lexi. I was going to take the train to the plane but I will be with 4 suitcases that I plan to fill up with goodies from home and bring back here. Boy, there is so much I miss! Sadly, besides family, most of it is food. Lol
There are no restaurants that you can stop in and grab a salad or a sandwich. If there is food, let’s just say it’s been lying on the counter for some time, and most of us say, “nah” and move right along. There was this one day I really wanted a roll that was just delivered. No, they are not in glass cases, but just lying on the counter next to the lighters. I took a deep breath and bit the bullet. “I will have 1 please.” “2 Dirham" (which equals 24 cents) I thought all would be ok as I reached for it, when all of a sudden the man behind me coughed and knocked them over trying to cover his mouth! He then put is hands on them to stack them back up! Ah!!!! :(
I bought a roll anyway. I got the Hep A shot. lol

There are no drive-thrus here, (not that I have even driven a car) …..speaking of cars…I don’t miss  driving in traffic, but I DO miss the control of coming and going as I please. I live in a city, so I have done a ton of walking and taking cabs. The upside is, I have shed almost 20 pounds. Never have I done that in the months leading ‘up’ to the holidays.
In the time I have been away I obviously have learned to ‘live without’ certain things that are just not available here. The one thing that I really miss believe it or not is hairspray!!! (as far as daily living stuff) I did bring a big bottle and when I went to Spain, I accidently put it in my carry-on in a rush…Duh!

So I have bought a few bottles here, try it, and then I return it (which is a task) It just doesn’t hold your hair! Watching me describe how poorly it works to the clerk must be a sight to see. And you might be thinking, why bother returning it? Well, did I mention that all cosmetics here are VERY expensive! Ugh. :(  Never thought I would say this "Where's Walmart?!!!"

I'm so excited to feel the comforts of family and relish all the hugs and kisses from everyone!
Merry Christmas! And a HAPPY New Year!!!

Shopping….and more shopping...
Thanksgiving with my "new" family!


Yup, we had turkey!!!






International Film Festival in Marrakech.





Field Trip, before the field trip to a photo museum in the medina.







Always, always musicians in the streets!
One of my favorite photographs in the museum.
"Here Ms. Viviel, I made this for you"
<3
It's been a wonderful and difficult first 4 months.
Looking forward to a Healthy New Year!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/29/2013

    Hey Cat. Would love to see you while you're home so give me a call if you can. Don't have a number for you now! Hope you had a merry christmas with your family. Have been following your blog so you won't have to catch me up on everything! Karen

    ReplyDelete